Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ups and Downs

This week started out really busy. It was my week to make breakfast which includes buying the milk and bread. I'd get up and out of the door at 7am to walk down to the bread shop were I'd pick up fresh hot little loaves. Then I turn right and walk down a bit and get the milk from a lady standing in front of her house. The milk is in a large garbage can (only used for this purpose of course). Each time I go I meet a big black puppy, just old enough to start acting to big for his birches. On Tuesday this little guy was running in and out of the bread shop and behind the counter nipping at everyone including a very small boy. (Dogs are free to come an go as the please for the most part here). I joined in chasing him for a minute. That same day the milk hadn't arrived when I got there and so I had to sit until I got some (15 minutes). This daily task made me understand the weight of sayings dealing with spilt milk. Walking back to our compound with a small pitcher of milk for everyone for the day makes me nervous.

I continued co-teaching English. I also started my exchange visiting the nuns at Casa da Saúde. Casa da Saúde is a health clinic that they run that uses all natural healing practices. They’ve agreed to let me come as many times as I want to study.

I was recruited to make a lucuri cake while Nadia and Charles concocted an avocado frosting for Franciscos's (another voleenter) B-day. Controversy ensued at the tasting.

Thing also got harder this week. I noticed I had a rash that started to itch and burn. I went to the pharmacy (they’ll diagnose you there) and they said I had a skin infection from swimming in infected water… (Oops!) I also begun to feel run down and realized that I had diarrhea. This turns out to be normal “go to another country and get sick thing.” (There are those who blame our lucuri avocado cake. I don't think so.) I feel just miserable. There’s no telling how long it will last. Nadia and Lisa another volunteer that just came back from vacation have it too.

Lastly it started to rain. Since Capim Grosso is in a desert they don’t expect rain often so our compound is mostly open to the elements. We’ve had to eat huddled in the kitchen so we turned it into a dance party to make it fun.

I eat, do what ever I have to do, then lie down. To day is the lucudi festival. I’m not going because I don’t want to be a drag down on the fun for anyone.

I hope the rain stops soon and I hope I feel better.

No comments: