Friday, April 16, 2010

Back with More!

So my sick progressed - diarrhea, stomach, pain then fever. I was been very weak and have been sleeping a lot. Rami and our other room mate Lisa both had fevers. Nadia was sick too. I eat regardless of my hurting tummy and make sure I drink water to remain hydrated. Melanie and Nadia brought back live probiotic cultures in two wine bottles and fresh picked tea leaves from Casa da Saúde for all of us. I felt miserable. I had to miss co-teaching a couple of times. My sick culminated in a cold that hit like a bolt of lighting. My fever rose I hurt all over especially my face. I cried like a baby! Students in the class that I co teach with Marena helped decide what medicine I should take and rode Lisa to the store on a motorbike to make sure I got it quickly. It lasted one day then cleared almost as fast – really strange. Now I’m on the mend. I’m taking garlic tincture to strengthen my immune system and a local remedy called Multi Mistura to build my overall strength. I feel great.

Unfortunately Lisa got worse she was brought to the hospital two days ago and diagnosed with dengue fever. Rami’s fever still lingers. It’s suspected that she has it too. It’s suspected that she has dengue too but she’s doing relatively okay so no hospital for her. Nadia and I may have had it but if we did our cases were milder.

So I’m back to work!! I’ve had to take over teaching Lisa’s English classes by myself which is an adventure considering I can’t give instruction in Portuguese. In the English 1 we translated the song “I Want to Know What Love Is” and played Uno. In the English 4 class we had conversation practice, which ment they got to ask me about life back in the States. We compared life here to life in West Oakland. Believe it or not West O has it much worse in some ways. I find this extra offensive considering the States don’t have the excuse of being a developing country. We talked about college, marriage, politics and social justice – hard conversations we needed a dictionary.

I’m so happy to feel good again. Am I tired of Brazil – no. I’m glad to be well. I miss everyone especially Kele and Fana but the ups and downs are a part of the adventure – yes? I’m well enough and ready for some more ups now though. Let’s see what we can do!

No comments: