Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I just was looking at the weather back home right now and saw it was 55˚F and I have to say. I’m so sorry y’all. I feel your pain. Right now it 6am and a nice muggy 75˚F. Since I’ve posted before I’ve co-taught two English classes. One was amazing. The students were all very motivated excited about the lesson. Two students brought food for us teachers, homemade chocolate cake and local flat bread like a cracker. They asked me a lot of questions. I participated in the lesson plan. Then I taught them the song Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes. After that they taught me the same song in Portuguese. We gave them homework and the students gave me homework since I’m learning their language. I’ll have to study hard. They’ll expect me to be as serious about my Portuguese as they are about their English. The other class was fun too however it was hard to keep the students focused. Rami had a dance class at the same time as this class. Halfway through our English class an other teacher, (Marena - who is also an English teacher) ran to the door to our class and yelled. “You have to see the dance class! It’s great.” All of our students promptly revolted and went down the hall to stand at the door to Rami’s class. It took some doing to get everyone back but since everyone had a hard time concentrating to begin with it was all over. Next week Rami’s class will be in another building.

Rami and I also visited the local nun’s. They are known for massage and natural medicine. We both had an hour massage for the equivalent of 8 dollars. They asked me to come and teach them some of my remedies. I’ve also volunteered to go there to learn and help make local medicine. It’s really old school. They go out and wildcraft the herbs, dry them then make remedies.

We had our first Portuguese class. Our teacher Alaina can’t speak English so I have to actually try to use Portuguese. I suck but that’s okay. I’ve only been here for less than a week.

More about bugs:
I’ve have gotten some questions regarding my last post and I just have to say. There are bugs and some bite but it isn’t that bad. As sensitive as I am to discomfort I’m really surprised that it’s not as bad as I thought. Normally you don’t have to worry about those ants unless you disturb them. I’m not a mass of scabby bites. In fact my skin never looked better than it does here.

So the school is closing for the rest of the week for Easter. Rami and I will be headed to the coast to go to the beach and see a city. So I we may not have access to the internet until after Sunday.

By the way you can add comments to the end of the post if you want!!
See you in 5 days!!